Monday, May 19, 2014

Bout of Books Read-A-Thon Wrap Up!

For the past week, I participated in the Bout of Books Read-A-Thon. I've never done one of these before, after years of hearing about them, plus it was one of my bookish resolutions for the year to participate in a read-a-thon.

The Verdict: Uh, HOW HAVE I NOT PARTICIPATED BEFORE? I connected with so many other book bloggers, in a way that I haven't before. I'm constantly reading other blogs and commenting, but following the #boutofbooks hashtag really just took it to another level to fully connect with other bloggers, root people on, and participate in reading sprints together.

Total Books Read: 3!
1. Shut Out by Kody Keplinger: I started this one the day before the read-a-thon started, but finished the majority of it on Day 1. I will have a review coming soon!
2. Popular: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya Van Wagenen : I was incredibly charmed by Maya's story. A review for this one will definitely be coming soon, too!
3. This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl & Family : I probably won't review this story, because how am I going to review a celebration of a girl who died too soon's life? I've mentioned before (I think) that I'm a thyroid cancer survivor. I related to chunks of Esther's story: being unable to go to school, losing friends, feeling useless and exhausted all of the time. This book is a collection of her journal entries, essays by friends about their relationship with Esther, CaringBridge updates, YouTube video transcriptions, and photos. Her story gets you into the head of a young person with cancer, validates the value of online friendships, and displays what a strong-headed person she was, even though her body was too weak. Have tissues ready if you choose to read this one.

Total Pages Read: 926!!! So proud of myself :') 56 of those pages were from me starting to read Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin last night.

Challenges: I participated in a couple of challenges, though I didn't do them every day.
First challenge was hosted by Bout of Books, and we had to introduce ourselves with a picture & the books we were hoping to read!

The only book I read in that pile was 'Popular.' Shows how much of a mood reader I am :)

Second Challenge was If You Like X, Try Y hosted by The Book Barbies. Here were my recommendations:


The third challenge I participated in was a Book Pairing hosted by My Overstuffed Shelves, in which we paired books we've read or were reading with things it reminded us of.

The last challenge I participated in was a Book Rainbow hosted by Neon Yeti Reads. This was maybe one of my favorite challenges!

Participation: 
Woo-wee, I feel bad for my twitter followers who weren't participating in Bout of Books because just about every tweet this week was related to it! Whether it was rooting other readers on, hosting and participating in reading sprints, connecting with other bloggers, and THE CHATS: every tweet was ended with #boutofbooks. Let's go back to the chats. They were beyond fun. I participated in the first one last Monday morning, and the one on Wednesday evening. It was another fun opportunity to connect with other bloggers, enthuse about wine, and talk about our favorite books. Even though the chats moved so fast, it was still so fun and the hour for each chat passed by so quickly!

If you are participated in the next Bout of Books Read-a-Thon, it will be taking place August 18th-24th. I will definitely be participating again next time. For more details, of course check out the Bout of Books blog. I'm so grateful for all of the fellow bloggers I got to connect with, and I can't wait for the next one!

Did you participate? How did you do?

1 comment:

  1. I think I am going to do the next Bout of Books challenge, it sounds so fun! Great work on all your challenges, that is awesome!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete