Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday [2]: Creepiest Book Covers!

This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted over at the Broke and the Bookish, is fueled with Halloween spirit! We have been summoned to show off the top ten creepiest book covers we have seen. I have recently rediscovered my love for reading horror, so this is right up my alley! Here are some of the spookiest book covers I have ever seen in no particular order.

The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff: In any context, old baby carriages give me the chills. They all just scream, "Rosemary's Baby!" at me, and remind me of creepy moms. Creepy carriage + sharp objects dangling haphazardly over it = SPOOKY.

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty : I am reading this one right now (as you can tell by my own personal instagram photo!) and let me tell you, this cover has eyes that seem to follow me everywhere. Even creepier is when I have it on my night stand and I shine my light on it at 4 am while I'm getting ready for work. This book is also just the perfect Halloween-time read.

Misery by Stephen King :  Uh, what about this cover ISN'T creepy? His tattered clothes! The look of sheer pain and torture on his face! The demented look of amusement and infatuation on her face! I wish the face was Kathy Bates', of course, but she still looks haggard and CRAZY.

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin : Back to the old baby carriages. Plus there's the creepy little hand of the demon baby and is that crucifix BURNING? Creepy to the max. Maybe my top ten list should have just been book covers with creepy baby carriages. Also, Rosemary's Baby is one of my favorite films of all time. The book is pretty fantastic as well. 

The Lucifer Child by Shelley Katz : Let me paint you a picture: I stop to look inside of one of Chicago's Free Books bins on the street. The blond boy with the icy blue and demonic looking eyes is literally reaching out to me from the cover of this book. I had to have it. Now it's one of the creepiest books on my shelf, and I have yet to read it out of fear of creeping out everyone around me. I think it's also too creepy for the internet considering this was the ONLY picture of it I could find on Google images (way too lazy to take a picture of my own copy) and on Goodreads the cover is blank!

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy : There's something dehumanizing and eerie about the way her mouth and eyes are ripped out on this cover. 

The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson : I think just the sight of the Amityville house has become iconic in the world of horror. Everyone knows what it looks like and the story of the 'Amityville Horror.' That house + the creepy devil tail + the promise of getting the hell scared out of me = SPOOKY.


The Lottery by Shirley Jackson : Just thinking about this short story makes me feel uncomfortable. I remember the shock of reading it in high school and it has always stuck with me. This is another creepy, vintage cover that gives me the same feeling the story does. All of those stones...

It by Stephen King : Sorry to my clown-hating boyfriend for this one, and yes, another Stephen King cover. I'm actually not the biggest fan of clowns, either, and the look of evil determination on this one's face gives me the shivers. I don't want to know what this clown has in store for me, hence why I haven't yet read this book. 

Asylum by Madeleine Roux : I actually just won this book in a giveaway hosted by Jamie at the Perpetual Page-Turner and Epic Reads! I had the choice between this one and several other spooky novels, and it was the creep-factor of this one that helped me choose it! The scratchy handwriting and ghostlike picture of the girl has me shaking already! 

I think I freaked myself out with all of these book covers, and it has me excited to read some more spine-tingling horror! I'm going to dive back into The Exorcist, but one of these may be on my list next. Who says we can't read horror after Halloween? Muahahaha. Have you read any of these books? Do their covers give you the creeps, too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment